So here are the Faster Rising Global Search queries of 2008:
- sarah palin – Even though Sarah Palin couldn’t win the US Election ’08 with Mccain, it seems like she was the hottest topic in Search.
- beijing 2008 – Beijing 2008 was the second hottest keyword due to the fact that it was the venue of this year’s olympic games.
- facebook login – Facebook, the popular social network seems to be very popular among searchers as well.
- tuenti – I honestly had no clue about this until I did a google search and figured that Tuenti is a popular social networking website that has been referred to as the “Spanish Facebook“.
- heath ledger – The legendary Actor who died in Jan 2008 was always very popular among the female audience. His last movie was a blockbuster hit- Batman: The Dark Knight.
- obama – Barack Obama is the President-elect of the United States and the first African-American to be elected as a President.
- nasza klasa – Nasza Klasa is a very popular social networking platform for people in Poland.
- wer kennt wen – wer kennt wen is a very popular social community in Denmark.
- euro 2008 – Euro 2008 is the UEFA European Football Championship, contested by all the European nations. This year it was hosted by Austria and Switzerland in June 2008.
- jonas brothers – The Jonas Brothers are an AMA-winning, Grammy-nominated American boy band.
Marissa Mayer, Vice President of Google’s Search Products & User Experience Writes:
It’s because of our inquisitive users that our annual Zeitgeist list is a true reflection of the times, with the billions of Google searches conducted every year lending us insight into our global society.
Zeitgeist is currently available for 30+ of the following countries, and can be accessed here.
My Two Cents
Its really interesting to see that localized / country specific social networking sites are doing really well even though the market often seem to be very saturated. More discussion at Techmeme.