After launching the Official Google SEO Guide, many webmasters has really appreciated Google’s effort in trying to help out web community. The blogosphere demanded that Google should often come up with more such guides so that at least the ‘best practices’ of the subject matter is clear to the public.
And now It looks like Google has came up with another Guide for Bloggers, unfortunately its not a PDF this time but instead its a new document inside the Google Webmaster Help archive. So in this small guide, the Google Webmaster Central team has offered some basic but useful tips on how bloggers can improve their blogs. They have divided the document in 3 parts – Creating great content, Making the content Crawler & user friendly & lastly use of Google Webmaster tools for your blog.
I have created a small summary of what the guide talks about. So here goes:
Creating Great Content
- Write Good content & Write as Frequently as possible — As you may already know, Content is King but do you know that writing more ‘frequently’ can encourage your readers to come back to your site more often? But obviously you need to take into account that the subject of your writing should be the same as what your readers expect from your blog. A very good quality post once a week is better than many low-quality content published daily.Tip: — Perform a search in Google for a subject of interest on your niche. If you can’t find a good answer, simply create a blog post about that particular subject – chances are that other people are also searching for the same thing.
- Always follow the Webmasters Guideline and try do things naturally. Try not to get involved in shady practices like this.
- Organize your content to make your Blog more User-friendly! Use categories, tags & labels appropriately so that your content are easy to find.
- Host your blog in your own domain and link it from your Home page so that the users & search crawlers can easily find your content
- Always create original content & content that are primarily for users and not the search engines. If you are promoting a affiliate product, DON’T use the content that they provide which has probably been used in tons of other places and are just duplicates. Always write unique & original content that you feel will be useful for the reader (e.g. Product reviews, How-tos etc.)
- Stop Comment Spam – Comments are Good but SPAMs are not. Read more about how to stop comment spam.
Making your Blog Crawler & User Friendly
- Always use Descriptive Titles for each your posts – Think of words that people may use to search for that particular post and include them in your title. Write Unique Titles so that it doesn’t get mixed up with another post of yours in your blog.
- Engage in your community, participate in discussion and interact with the readers who leaves a comment in your blog
- Publish a FULL feed of your content rather than a partial Feed. Full feeds can make users happy because they can view your content with a lot less effort. Even though it might result in a short-term decline in visits to your actual blog, but it has long-term benefits for you
Webmaster Tools For Your Blog
- Add your blog in your Google Webmaster Tools account.
- Verify yourself as the owner of your blog in the Google Webmaster Tools to get access to all the advanced features
- Create a Sitemap and Submit it via the Webmaster Tools. Sitemaps are a good way to let Google know which page needs to be indexed.
Thats all! Pretty basic isn’t it? If you were expecting more “advanced” stuffs I invite you to read some of the following:
Bloggers Guide to SEO by Aaron Wall & Giovanna Wall – SEOBook.com
WordPress SEO – Definitive Guide To High Rankings For Your Blog by Joost de Valk – Yoost.com
Search Engine Optimization for Blogs by Darren Rowse – Problogger.net
Whitehat SEO tips for bloggers by Matt Cutts – Mattcutts.com/blog/
21 Tactics to Increase Blog Traffic by Rank Fishkin – SEOmoz.org
Tips for Optimizing Blogs and Feeds by Ross Dunn – SearchEngineGuide.com
Do-It-Yourself Search Engine Optimization Guide by Lorelle – Lorelle.Wordpress.com
SEO For WordPress – The Complete Guide by Jim Westergren – JimWestergren.com
Did I miss any great resources? Please Include it in comments or notify me via twitter (@saadkamal).
Update: I forgot to add my very own post that I wrote particularly for Bloggers titled: How to Rank Your Blog High in Search Engines. Check it out and I’m sure you will be able to take some useful pieces from it.